From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 14:58:52 -0700
Kevin Sutton ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Deryk Barker wrote:
>
>>Kevin Sutton ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>>
>>>The B minor mass has *no* liturgical significance.  It is a show piece
>>>which Bach compoesed for no intention other than to get a job.
>>
>>Ah, which job would this be Kevin?  ...
>
>The job would be Dresden Kappellmeister and it is clearly documented that
>a good portion of the mass was sent to Dresden in the hopes of receiving
>the appointment there.  I will look up the particulars later, as I don't
>have time at present, but I am certain that this was the case.

Confusion explained.  For the Dresden job, for which he applied in July
1733 IIRC, he sent his recently completed Missa Brevis, which consisted
only of the Kyrie and Gloria.

So, I don't think we can say that he composed the B minor Mass (or what we
understand by the term today) for the job.  But he did compose some of it.

Deryk Barker