From:
Philip Haldeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 16:31:47 -0800
Don Satz wrote:

>I decided to buy a couple of chamber music cds for car listening and
>opted for two Naxos discs of Dvorak string quartets performed by the
>Vlach Quartet Prague (opus 61 & 80 - 51 & 105).  . . .

I'm glad to have your high opinion of the Dvorak.  Naxos can be a
great help to the pocketbook when an entire cycle is so well done.  May
I also recommend the Haydn quartets.  This cycle by The Kodaly Quartet
is wonderfully musical and a big favorite of mine.  The Shostakovich has
also gotten excellent reviews, though I haven't heard them.  What about
Beethoven? I think the Kodaly has released just a couple, but I haven't
kept track.  Anyone have an opinion so far? Making the leap from Haydn
to Beethoven with equal success would be quite a feat.

Philip Haldeman