From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 17:58:44 PST
I'd like to talk a little about the first movement of Mozart's Clarinet
Concerto which I consider one of the marvels of human activity.  The
Introduction, a mere 2 minutes of music, has so much in it that it elicits
from me the images of a day in the life of a nursery school-aged boy who
wakes up to the soft sounds of the dawn, gets into high gear for readying
himself for school, has a great school day of learning, fun, and
social/physical activity, feels regret as he is picked up for the ride
home, but just as quickly, feels a great sense of comfort as he becomes
enveloped in his home environment, eats dinner, watches the stirring
"Inspector Gadget", takes a fun-filled bath with many of his military
warriors (plastic) as his companions, and then zooms into bed and
instantly delivers himself to sleep.  You know you've listened to a great
introduction when it seems as if an entire story has unfolded within you.

For the rest of the movement, there's a more detailed story of a fine day
for a Doe named Amanda (I love that name).  Her highlight is being swept
off her feet by a Buck named Don (that's me); by the end of the evening
they are asleep together with their heads in embrace.

Well, it's just a story.  All kinds of mighty fine emotions can be found
in Mozart's first movement.  The clarinet playing always reminds me of
Mother Nature taking care of her flock in the forest and clearings.

This movement is unadultered pleasure; fantastic melodies just keep jumping
up at me, each note seemingly the perfect one.  The flow of the piece is
amazing, so seamless and natural.  And that's just the first movement.

Don Satz