From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 15:45:17 +0200
Margaret Mikulska wrote:

>Yes, really, REALLY.  She's quite well known (for a living composer,
>that is).  And since she is (or was: she's 70 now) professor of
>composition at Mills College in CA - one of the best schools for modern
>music - there are certainly quite a lot of people who heard about her.

And really, I should have. Shame on me!

>Well, why don't you all have a look at the web site:
>
> http://www.deeplistening.org/pauline/

Okay. *click click* Very impressive. Ah, looky here!

   http://mp3.com/paulineoliveros

The first track is simply excruciating electronic noise.  Love it.
Hung on for almost 2 minutes.  Second track, "Mills Bog" very pleasant,
ambient sounds.  Third track, also from the 60's, more electronics, all
very interesting stuff for what it is, "meditative", very avant-garde,
certainly blurring the line between music and performance art.  Hm, here's
a section that sounds a little like construction work at an airport.  Cool!

Well, look, Mozart this ain't.  But I don't think one can intellectually
justify a statement that this isn't art.  Matter of fact, that's *all*
it is!  Entertainment it's not.  Beauty it's not.  I personally think it
qualifies as music, that's debatable.  But it's definitely Art.  And at
least to me, actually quite enjoyable.  I'd rather listen to this than to
hard-core serialism, for instance.

Dave Runnion
http://mp3.com/davidrunnion