From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 09:14:20 PST
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>As someone who enjoys discovering the music of obscure nineteenth
>century German symphonists, whether typical or otherwise, and indeed, of
>obscure symphonists of any era from wherever, I wouldn't dream of holding
>them in higher regard than Mozart.  Neither would I elevate such people as
>the composers represented in Chandos's excellent Contemporaries of Mozart
>series to WAM's level.

Agreed.  Although popularity and quality often move in different
directions, the greater popularity of Mozart's and Haydn's symphonies
over other classical-era composers is fully deserved.  The Chandos series,
although very worthwhile, is a reminder of the superiority of WAM and
Haydn.  I can enjoy those lesser known composer's symphonies as long as
I don't play one immediately after a Mozart/Haydn symphony.

Concerning the composers included in the Chandos series to date, I'd
have to say that I like M. Haydn's symphonies the most.  I was somewhat
disappointed with the Vanhal and Krommer symphonies, as I likely was
expecting too much.

Don Satz