From:
Aaron Rabushka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:10:33 -0500
Note that my reference to the theory books was not a suggestion that anyone
should or needs to study theory.  David expressed a contention that this
was of necessity an expensive pursuit, and my reply was to the effect that
it need not cost a whole lot of money.  Remember that I also said that
studying theory is neither necessary nor sufficient to enjoy or otherwise
appreciate any piece of music.  Any music worth hearing has more to offer
than it's theoritical workings, be it the Art of Fugue or any of Xenakis'
statistically driven excursions.

Freedom of expression is a right that many countries have fought for long
and hard.  In many places it is still reserved for those that are wealthy
enough to afford it.  Giving composers permission to write is a patronizing
(i.e., talking down to) exercise at best, even if it comes from someone
who will potentially patronize (i.e., buy tickets to) those composers
presentations.  It may be someone ironic, especially to those who think
that there is no life beyond economics and marketing, that a composer can
often serve his audience best by ignoring their limitations and taking them
somewhere that they have never been.

By way of a postscript, note that Puccini's inspiration for Madama
Butterfly came from an English-language performance of Belasco's play
in which he (Puccini) understood few if any of the words.

Aaron J. Rabushka
http://www.cowtown.net/users/arabushk/