From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 23:44:55 PDT
David Stewart wrote:

>What you have to ask yourself is 'What is the most useful definition of
>the word music?'.  I do not believe that defining music to be able to mean
>(non-metaphorically) a car revving up is useful.

It probably isn't useful, but maybe no definition is useful.  What useful
purpose is served by saying that music is organized sound? What function
gets served?

Considering my wife fairly typical of most folks concerning music, I
asked her if she considered natural sounds to be music.  Her answer was
"Sometimes.  There are some sounds I like, some I don't." Not a very
illuminating answer but another view from one individual.  And I keep
saying that the individual determines what constitutes music.

But a definition of music being useful? I don't think so, but I'm very
willing to alter that opinion if I hear/read something that's better than
what I'm thinking.

Don Satz