From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 03:05:54 +0100
Joseph Sowa wrote:

>David Runnion wrote:
>
>>But Bob, he *did* develop the symphony.  And so did Haydn.  And so did
>>Beethoven.  And so did Mahler.  And Corigliano.
>
>Fantastic comment!

Thank you!

>I've had a chance recently to rehear Mozart.  From what I've heard, mostly
>piano concertos.  To put it blatently, I found that I actually like Mozart
>when I give him a chance.  Certainly his music cannot move me like
>Bruckner's 9th, but it has charm.

When I was in music school, I had a marvellous music-history teacher named
Mister Lister.  He was a violinist, and was not a Bruckner fan.  He spoke
of the endlessly repeated patterns in the strings and the length of the
symphonies, and played passages to illustrate this.  Since I liked Mister
Lister, I respected his opinion of Bruckner and never listened to anything
he wrote.  Years later, I had the opportunity to perform one of the
symphonies, and, to put it blatently, I found that I actually liked his
music when I gave it a chance!  It didn't move me like the Mozart Clarinet
quintet, but it has, if not charm, some powerful moments indeed!

Dave Runnion
http://www.mp3.com/serafinotrio