From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 10:25:18 PDT
Walter Meyer wrote of Kiel's Missa Solemnis on Capriccio:

>...but the Kiel *Missa* sounds to me like the work of one of the
>undisputed masters:  it's free of banality and trite predictability; it
>has melodies, haromonies, contrpuntal passages, and rhythms, that to me
>sound interesting and inspired, and make me wish I'd heard the work earlier
>in my life.

Based on a recommendation I read about a year ago, I acquired the Kiel
Missa Solemnis and second Walter's opinion of the work.  If you like Haydn,
Mozart, and Beethoven sacred choral works, Kiel's Missa should be right up
your alley.

What strikes me is that, once again, a great work by an obscure composer
is unveiled by a non-major record company, and at less than premium price.

Don Satz