From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:56:12 -0500
I have the greatest respect for Deryk and read his lukewarm review with
interest.  His points about the limitations of the technology and his
preference for the 78's are well articulated and understandable.  I write
from a different perspective because I think some others on the list may
be closer to me in their experience of listening.

I had always heard that Rachmaninov was an amazing pianist though, of
course, had never heard him.  When I put on this disc I thought it was
revelatory.  His pianism does come through and if you are comparing him
to others on disc you don't regret the lost detail from the 78's or live
performance because you never heard them anyway.

My point is that even a partial Rachmaninov may be more rewarding than the
full helping of many of today's blander --or more bizarre--players.  Again,
accepting all of Deryk's reservations, I urge people to check this out.

Ed