From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 12:00:07 PST
I think that Schubert is not often brought up on the list, and I don't
recall anyone ever writing negatively about his music in general or of a
particular work.  So, I am very pleased to report on an outstanding new set
of the piano sonatas performed by John Damgaard for the Classico label.
I had initially reported that I was impressed with this set after some
listening, and I've now listened to each of the 5 discs.

 From the moment I started playing the 1st cd, I felt I was in the
presence of a special set of performances.  Most of Schubert's music
has a particular rhythmic flow to it; I've often heard it referred to as
a "singing" quality.  Whatever it might be called, a performance can be
sabotaged if the pianist does not recognize and follow through on it and/or
the recorded sound is too flat or bass-heavy.  As an example, although
Uchida's recordings have received many fine reviews, I find that she tends
to neglect that "singing" quality and her recorded sound is relatively
flat.  Results can be overly melancholy with the additional feeling that
the performance is a static one - it doesn't sing.

Moving from Uchida to Damgaard, I noticed immediately a brighter quality to
the recorded sound and a performance which highlights the singing nature of
Schubert's works.  It gives the performances a life affirming quality which
Uchida's only hint at.

Another way I use to test the worthiness of Schubert solo piano
performances is to hear how the pianist handles the last movment of D.894
and the first movement of D.959 (my two favorite Schubert movments).  The
D.894 works best when the pianist, in addition to providing the rhythmic
flow necessary, keeps the momentum going by refusing to hesitate and using
ornamentation sparingly.  In this way, the movement is very exciting but
also poetic.  My benchmark is Ranki on Hungaroton, and Damgaard compares
favorably.  Concerning the first movement of D.959, there's a drama
inherent in the movement that's essential for a satisfying performance.
Brendel gets it just right, and Damgaard comes very close.

This new set can be bought on-line for about $40, although I saw it at
only $33 on EVERY CD.  That's a great price for superb music performed at
the highest level.  Is it possible you wouldn't like it? Maybe, but I do
feel that anyone with a decent handle on the Schubert idiom who loves that
idiom will consider the set a fine purchase.

Don's Conclusion: A Must-Buy.  Catalog number is 245.  I have felt
"burned" by some previous ARG recommendations, but this one is on the
money.

Don Satz