From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 23:02:03 -0500
Steve Schwartz responded to Stephen E. Bacher:

>>Similar to the way Latin is rarely taught in schools anymore, leading
>>to folks believing that the plural of "ignoramus" is "ignorami".:-)
>
>You mean, IT'S NOT?  I had Latin in public school through Cicero, but I
>admit I could have forgotten something.  Is it one of those "-us"/"-us"
>nouns?  Is it actually a first person plural present verb?

My various Latin dictionaries, including a one-way Latin-German
dictionary running to almost 1000 pp, list no noun "ignoramus".  They
do list the verb "ignoro, ignorare" the first person plural of which is
indeed "ignoramus".  As a noun, the word is English, rather than Latin,
the plural of which is listed in my Random House dictionary as "ignoramuses".

To keep this post musical, now that Roman Catholic prayers are now
recited in the vernacular rather than in Latin, have there been Roman
Catholic masses in the classical tradition (whatever that means) composed
to texts in the local languages, aside from the Misa Criolla?  I asume
that Janacek's *Glagolitic Mass* to a Slavonic text was not intended for
Roman Catholic services.

Walter Meyer