From:
Barry Brenesal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 18:37:29 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

>Like many, I know the Four Seasons and I like them.  However, after
>finding out Vivaldi has written the total of almost 50 concerti, 39
>operas, 23 symphonies etc, I started to worry about the relation of
>quantity and quality.  Could you please assure me the seasons are his
>best work and I don't have to bother digging deeper?

<blink> 50 concerti? My good sir, Vivaldi wrote more than 600 concerti.
Understandably, there's a certain, well, sameness to many of them.  Of
course, as much could be said about the output of every prolific baroque
composer, including old Johan Sebastian, himself.

I suggest sampling various works in a library, noting down which ones you
like, and purchasing those.

Barry Brenesal