From:
Joseph Sowa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 18:20:37 -0400
Juozas Rimas wrote:

>It's always interesting to observe people trying to criticize Mozart.  Why
>do they choose this composer? "The most overrated composer" is a frequent
>label.  I'd be really glad if someone explained to me why it's so.

Maybe because we can't handle Mozart:) Probably because his most of music
aims entirely at the mind, clear cut logic, etc.  His music was terribly
orgranized (terribly taking on the other meaning than bad), and those two
things combined turn some people off and others on.  Whereas Haydn was less
talented than Mozart, thus had less control, and ended up will less
cerebral music.  (cerebral used loosely)

>... Joseph states that Mozart "is not number one".  Maybe he regards
>Beethoven as number one, maybe other great composer.  "The best composer",
>"the greatest ever", "number one", "second-best composer of the romantic
>era"...  Value of music shouldn't be measured in numbers.  It's not a sport
>and there can be no world records.

A good point to keep in mind although most of us tend to fall back into
the competitive mode.  Nonetheless, it's the truth.

Joseph Sowa