From:
Achim Breiling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 12:30:08 +0200
Satoshi Akima wrote:

>But this would also be to condemn Beethoven's 9th Symphony:
>
>  Ihr stuetzt nieder, Millionen?
>  Ahnest du den Schoepfer, Welt?
>  Such ihn ueberm Sternenzelt,
>  ueber Sternen muss er wohnen!
>  (Schiller: An die Freude)
>
>Not to mention his Fidelio.  Wagner raises questions about the freedom and
>the destiny of humanity, of the question of human love and passion, of life
>and death.  What is so wrong with ANY artist challenging us with such
>utterly fundamental matters?

I appreciate Satoshi Akimas high regard of the German language, but
as a German I can tell him that the short piece above (even if it is by
Schiller) and most that has been cited in the various variations of this
Wagner thread sounds very dated, exaggerated and overdone in these days.
I guess the only thing he would get from an average group of Germans (lets
say educated ones) if he would read some Wagbner to them would be some
heartly laughter, and not admiration for apparent deep insight in the
problems of our world the poet seems to show.  It might be that Wagner
adresses fundamental questions about life in the Ring, but is that not true
for most operas (if not theatre pieces or movies, or art?).  As most of
these draw their plot from live its only natural that they raise questions
about humanity, of human love and passion, of life and death.  I do not
think Wagners Ring is a special case here!  I also think its nothing wrong
with artist challenging us with such fundamental matters, but I rather
think that most artists do that with most of their works!

Achim Breiling