From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 20:12:10 +0100
Chris Bonds wrote:

>How many grade school kids do you know who compose atonal music?

My 2 1/2 year old sings all day long, it is as atonal as you get, and she,
and we, love it.  I put on some squeaky new music, Emily (the kid) adores
it and dances around and jumps in the loud spots.

>I think you interest people in it AFTER they've committed to serious
>musical study.

The problem with that is that that's precisely where the bias against
atonal/new music begins.  As soon as kids start listening to adults telling
them what music is good and what will ruin their appreciation for opera for
the rest of their lives, you've lost'em.

I think that post from the 11-year-old ends the argument, frankly.

Dave Runnion
Mallorca