From:
Sam Pawlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 11:37:59 -0700
Rodrigo Ventura wrote:

>Hi.  Could anyone advice me on the best piece to start exploring these
>composer's work?
>
>Listz
>Mahler
>Chopin

Liszt: Zimerman/Ozawa for the Piano Concerti.
       Annees De Pelegrinage-Lazar Berman
       Transcendental Etudes-Berman or Arrau
       Hungarian Rhapsodies--Cziffra or Szidon.
       Sonata in B--Horowitz(1932), Argerich
       Recital--Kun Woo Paik--Amazing bravado!

Cziffra and Berman were two of the greatest virtuosi ever.  I think Arrau
might be an acquired taste because of his slow tempos and affectations.  I
do think he really captures the darkness of Liszt.

Mahler-- 4-Reiner or Bernstein
5-Beecham
9-Karajan, Bernstein or Walter

I think the ninth is the greatest symphony ever written. I like
Bernstein's all out--no holds barred approach.

Chopin:  There are a lot of great Chopin players.  My favorites are
Cortot, Ignaz Friedman,Moravec, Pollini and (of course) Rubinstein.
Lortie's etudes are very good too, played with bravura and convincing
feeling.  Kovacevich is great too but has only recorded about an hour's
worth of Chopin.  Oh, and Lipatti too.

That should get you going:-) Most of these discs are pretty inexpensive
now I think, except for Lortie.

Sam Pawlett