From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 19:25:37 -0400
Satoshi Akima wrote:

>Whilst there are some on this list to whom he is a very well known, the
>name Scherchen may in general be largely unfamiliar to many.  Especially
>now that Tahra have released a series of his recordings I hope that his
>time has come at last.

Scherchen was one of my favorite conductors when I was in college.  I would
look forward to his recording of major orchestral and choral works on the
Westminster LP label, beginning w/ his Bach b minor Mass.  I still have
that LP album, but alas, I cannot find the recordings of Beethoven's Ninth,
Mahler's 5th, or Handel's Messiah that I know I had.  I can imagine having
given away the Beethoven and Mahler, but I'd thought they'd have had to pry
the Handel out of my dead hand!

Walter Meyer