From:
Margaret Mikulska <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 22:37:58 -0400
Robert Summers wrote:

>Comparing current artists with the great artists of the past for me is a
>futile discussion.  However, when enumerating our current best pianists
>it is inconceivable to me that Pollini is not mentioned.

I'm surprised, too.  Even though I hate those "best" choices, Pollini is
undoubtedly somewhere very, very high.  So is Argerich.  I haven't heard
the younger ones (Kissin, Volodos, Pletnev) often enough to judge.  And how
come nobody mentioned Sofronitzky? (Of the greats of the past, of course.)

-Margaret Mikulska