From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 13:27:13 PST
I watched last week's Live from Lincoln Center and liked the suite
from Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet very much.  A few days ago, I bought
Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet/National Symphony Orchestra of Ukraine/Andrew
Mogrella/Naxos 8.553184-5.  I wasn't sure I would like the entire ballet,
so I bought the Naxos set.  I find I also like the recording.  BTW, if
anyone has a suggestion of another recording, I would like very much to
know what it is.

Question: Was Prokofiev considered a Soviet composer? What I mean by
"Soviet composer" is someone who composed music that was acceptable to the
leadership.  I vaguely recall that he was, but I'm not sure.  It doesn't
really matter to me if he was or wasn't.  I like the music.  I'm just
curious.

Thanks, as always.

Ron Chaplin