From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 15:40:01 -0800
Edward Janusz wrote:

>Like the punk-rockers of 25 years ago (I was one) who spent more time
>sneering at the metalheads than enjoying our own raucousness.  I have
>no answers to this ongoing problem -- not even glib, mediocre ones --
>but I have made a private vow not to bust on anybody else and their
>choice of music, rather than present myself as an arrogant classical
>know-it-all.  Or if I've got to bust on them, I've vowed at least not
>to be snarky about it.  It's a start.

One interesting tactic the Seattle SO adopted a while ago (perhaps someone
actually *in* Seattle could give more detail?) was to use rock stars in
their advertising, talking about *their* tastes in classical music.  It's
surprising just how many rock musicians have more than a passing interest
in CM.

I recall that the Elvis Costello/.Brodsky Quartet collaboration The
Juliet Letters cam about after IIRC they spotted him in the audience at
a Shostakovich programme they were playing, met him and told him they'd
recently been in the audience at one of his shows.

Again IIRC one of the musicians the Seattle SO used in their ads was
Eddie Vedder (?) of Pearl Jam.

I should have thought that this kind of advertising might actually work,
after all the fans do care what their idols think.  Can anyone closer
to Benaroya Hall than I update me?

Deryk Barker
dbarker @camosun.bc.ca