From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2004 02:40:16 +0000
I've been listening to a 3-cd set of organ music that covers 30 composers
and 21 historical organs connected with the Pomerania region that covers
parts of Germany and Poland.  There are plenty of sad pieces in the set,
but the one I find most effective is a choral prelude composed by Georg
Scheel (1866-1945) - "Gib dich zufrieden und sei stille".  I must admit
the music is derivative all the way back to Bach and earlier, but it
hits the heart immediately.  It only lasts 60 seconds, so I always keep
the machine on 'repeat' to hear it for a few minutes longer.

By the way, the set is a great addition to my library of organ music.
There are many composers featured who I never heard of before, the music
is generally quite good and some of it exceptional, the organist Martin
Rost plays excellently, and those 21 organs are fantastic.  Nobody
interested in historical organs will want to be without this set.  The
label is MDG, and the catalog number is MDG 319 1214-2.  This isn't a
review, but I'd be saying the same things if it was.

Before bowing out, I do want to clarify that I don't really have a
library as such.  Nothing more than discs in closets, on shelves, in the
car, and on the living room carpet.  My dog General Jackson isn't allowed
in the living room, but he wasn't allowed in the dining room either and
I'm finding him there a lot lately.  The guy probably thinks that he'll
take over the house before long.  I just knew my wife was making a big
mistake by attaching 'General' in front of his name.

Don Satz