From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 07:55:16 +0000
Juozas Rimas wrote:

>What can you say about Vivaldi's music? Like many, I know the Four Seasons
>and I like them.  However, after finding out Vivaldi has written the total
>of almost 50 concerti, 39 operas, 23 symphonies etc, I started to worry
>about the relation of quantity and quality.  Could you please assure me
>the seasons are his best work and I don't have to bother digging deeper?

Actually he has written several hundred concerti.

Whether or not The Seasons is his best work is irelevent. The fact is
that there are hundreds of great works in his ouvre worth exploring.

So if you like the seasons then there's plenty more to discover.

I highly recommend the Brilliant classics boxed concerti set of 8 cds at
around $3 per CD.  Every cd in the box is superb.

After that look out for the concerti for sacred occasions and the two
Glorias.

Bob Draper