From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 14:18:20 -0800
Summary from the busy non-executive:  Not the South American food fight
that critics would cause one to expect.

This delightful, exhilarating perfomance by Omaro/FRSO with Ralf Gothoni
on the piano is available on the Ondine label, #916-2.  It is true that a
plethora of melodies come and go for a little over an hour, propelled by
lively dance rhythms or supported by ostinati; but there are many extended
sections, esp.  in the 2nd mov't, that give one a chance to relish some
lovely long-limbed melodies.  (Some quite similar to that great moment
in Falla's "Night's in the Gardens of Spain" that we all loved as teens.
You know the part....)

IMHO the work progresses in strength as it goes along, with the highly
atmospheric 2nd mov't and the fugal 3rd persuading this listener to keep
the work in his collection.  Great orchestration abounds, aggressive and
colorful, (I esp.  like Villa-Lobos' use of the high Eb Clarinet), and the
piece retains a certain potence and coherency that I found lacking in, say,
Revueltas.

More lovely and delightful still, would be Villa-Lobos' Harp Concerto,
available on a Philips compilation; which includes the concerti of
Castelnuovo-Tedesco and Rodrigo--all gems.  And for thrillingly "exotic"
post-impressionism I would opt for Ginastera's "Panambi" as a Latin
American alternative to Bartok's, "Wooden Prince Ballet."

I would buy these first.  (My humble opinion.)

John Smyth