From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:33:52 -0700
Various messages on this thread last month prompted me to do some
research into Magnard and his music.  Here's what I've found to date.

Peter Lundin hoped for an opus list:

Op. 1 Trois pieces, for piano, 1888
Op. 2 Suite d'orchestre dans le style ancien, G min,
piano 4 hands, 1888, rev. 1889
Op. 3 6 poemes en musique, voice and piano, 1887-90
Op. 4 Symphony No. 1 in C minor, 1890
Op. 5 Yolande, opera in 1 act, 1891
Op. 6 Symphony No. 2 in E major, 1893
Op. 7 Promenades, for piano, 1893
Op. 8 Quintet for piano and winds, D minor, 1894
Op. 9 Chant funebre, for orchestra, 1895
Op. 10 Ouverture pour orchestre, 1895
Op. 11 Symphony No. 3 in B flat minor, 1896
Op. 12 Guercoeur, opera in three acts, 1900
Op. 13 Violin Sonata in G major, 1901
Op. 14 Hymne a la Justice, for orchestra, 1902
Op. 15 4 poemes en musique, baritone and piano, 1902
Op. 16 String Quartet in E minor, 1903
Op. 17 Hymne a Venus, for orchestra, 1904
Op. 18 Piano Trio in F minor, 1904
Op. 19 Berenice, opera in 3 acts, 1909
Op. 20 Cello Sonata in A major, 1910
Op. 21 Symphony No. 4 in C sharp minor, 1913

Also:

En Dieu mon esperance et mon epee pour ma defense, for piano, 1893 A
Henriette, for voice and piano, 1892 12 poemes en musique, for voice and
piano (lost), 1913-14

Bob Draper wanted to know aht was available apart from the symphonies.
Interestingly for a relatively minor figure with a small, eclectic output,
practically everything except the operas and the Hymne a Venus are recorded
and currently available on CD.  The following list is based on US sources
and does not take into account the EMI recording of Guercoeur which Peter
Lundin mentioned, since I can't find it.  Also, I have not found the disc
numbers for the BIS release of Symphonies 1 and 3 as yet.

Hyperion CDA 67030
Symphonies 1 and 2
BBC Scottish SO, Ossonce

Hyperion CDA 67040
Symphonies 3 and 4
BBC Scottish SO, Ossonce

BIS
Symphonies 1 and 3
Malmo SO, Sanderling

Musical Heritage Society 535394W (3 disc set) Symphonies 1,2 3 and 4, Hymne
a la Justice, Ouverture, Chant funebre Orchestre du Capitole de Toulouse,
Plasson (I believe this set is issued on EMI in the UK)

Accord ACD 200752 (5 disc reissue of complete chamber music) Violin Sonata;
Trois pieces; En Dieu mon esperance; Cello Sonata; Promenades' String
Quartet; Quintet for Piano and Winds; Piano Trio; Poemes en musique Opp.
3 & 15; Suite dans le style ancien Various artists

Tall Poppies TP 081
Promenades (with Alkan Op. 39 and Preludes)
Stephanie McCallum

CBC MVCD 1097
Quintet (with Caplet Flute Quintet)
Montreal Societe des Vents

Valois V4807
Cello Sonata; Piano Trio
Huseyni Sermet, Xavier Phillips and Regis Pasquier

Agora AG 097.1
Violin Sonata (with Franck Violin Sonata)
Emmanuelle and Lorenzo Baldini

Pierre Verany PVY 730068
Violin Sonata (with Franck Violin Sonata)
Monique Frasca-Colombier, Michelle Langot

Koch Schwann 3-6712-2
Quintet for Piano and Winds (with Caplet Flute Quintet)
Trio Ozi, Benoit Fromanger, Laurent Martin

If anyone knows of any other recordings on CD, I would be interested in
learning about them.

Lucien-Denis-Gilbert-Alberic Magnard (9 Jun 1865 - 3 Sep 1914) should have
been created as the lead character in Moliere's "Le Misanthrope." He seems
to have been sour and taciturn, spending much of his life trying to prove
he could stand on his own two feet and did not require or seek the help of
his father, the celebrated editor of Le Figaro till his death in 1894,
which sparked Alberic's interesting and introspective Chant funebre.  He
seems to have had few friends and generated a lot of antipathy in his life,
not least for being on the side of the unjustly imprisoned Jewish officer
in the Dreyfus Affair, for whom he wrote the 1902 Hymne a la Justice --
sonorous and big-boned music with something thoughtful to say.

One of the things which has amazed me listening to as much of his music
as I have been able to get hold of at short notice is he seems to echo
people who come after him!  What I mean is there are many instances where
a musical identity shines through which makes you sit up and say "Ah --
Mahler's Second" -- only to find out Magnard wrote his piece four years
earlier.  The same happens with Strauss, with Glazunov (same age!) even
with Benjamin Britten (a section in the Second Symphony strongly
reminiscent of Young Person's Guide) and (God help me) even a theme in
the First Symphony which I swear is Andrew Lloyd-Webber to the life!

Maybe he isn't one of the greatest composers who has ever lived and
maybe his music is caught up in a lifelong search for perfection of form
at the cost of expressive ability.  A pupil of d'Indy (and a professor of
counterpoint at d'Indy's Schola Cantorum for a few years) he was heavily
influenced by the Franck circle (the cyclic principle is luminously evident
in the first two symphonies) but also by the music of Berlioz and Wagner.
Considering he was 21 before he showed any interest in or talent for music,
I think his lamentably small output is pretty damn good.  It sure as heck
deserves a wider audience -- so at least do yourselves a favor and get
hold of the BIS or Hyperion discs.  The Third and Fourth Symphonies in
particular are wonderfully wrought music and should be in the collection
of any lover of the late Romantics.

Here endeth the lesson!

Tim Mahon
Alexandria, VA