From:
Christopher Webber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 06:45:56 +0000
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Well, I hate to bring this up, but Dvorak was sophisticated, at
>least musically, and observed those social conventions.  I find such
>a performance view perfectly valid and, indeed, a welcome alternative
>to the "butcher's boy, warbling his native woodnotes wild" picture of
>the composer.

That is, of course, when he wasn't out Train Spotting ....

On the other hand, though it doesn't do to sentimentalize
Dvorak-the-rustic-innocent, like Don I have noticed performers'
tendency to distort his works by giving them an over-glossy sheen.

The extraordinary finale of the 8th Symphony has been a notable sufferer:
attempts to play down rather than play up the startling dramatic contrasts
built into the main theme often result in the thing sounding like Bad
Brahms.  Too many performances simply try and smooth it out.

Christopher Webber,  Blackheath, London,  UK.
http://www.nashwan.demon.co.uk/zarzuela.htm
"ZARZUELA!"