From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 00:36:16 -0700
Bob Draper wrote:

>Robert A. Martinez writes:
>
>>Does anyone know the true relationship Mozart and Antonio Salieri had? How
>>acurate is the move "Amadeus"?
>
>As I've said before this is work of pure fiction.
>
>I read also that Mozart never called himself Amadeus.
>
>Anyway here's another angle.  How can you possibly have a film about Mozart
>with zero mention of Haydn in its entirety? You can't, crazy.

Precisely and part of the answer to this is that "Amadeus" was a stage play
that only later got made into a movie.  The movie was just the money making
end of the project, I always felt.  On the stage you can get away with far
more licence and it works far better.  The BBC did a radio version directed
by Peter Hall (the original stage director) and that was brilliant.
Theatre of the mind.

Tony Duggan,  England.
My (developing) Mahler recordings survey is at:
http://www.musicweb.force9.co.uk/music/Mahler/index.html