From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 21:48:19 -0500
Vissarion Shebalin (1902-1963) was a composer during the Soviet regime.  He
was born in Siberia who received his formal musical training at the Moscow
Conservatory under the direction of Myaskovsky and eventually became the
Musical Director there as well.  He was considered a congenial and good
man, but he did lock horns with the musical establishment.  Once tagged as
a "formalist", the term loosely applied to all Soviet composers who were
suspect, he was fired from his position.

Shebalin wrote in many forms, including the string quartet medium.  I
believe that he wrote nine string quartets dating from the 1920's into the
1960's.  About a year ago, Olympia issued Volume 1 of Shebalin's string
quartets; it contains his first three string quartets.  Now, Volume 2 has
been released and contains three additonal quartets, two from the 1940's
and his last quartet from 1963.  The performers in both volumes are a group
called the Krasni Quartet.  Its members are very young adults who joined
forces in 1998 while in their first year of study at the Rimsky Korsakov
State Conservatory of Music in St.  Petersburg.  Don't let the young ages
get in the way; these folks are superb musicians and artists.  The catalog
number of Volume 2 is OCD 664.

Was Shebalin a "modernist" or atonal composer? Hardly.  His music
is largely derivative in conception and style.  There is often much
romanticism, and that sometimes reduces my enjoyment.  But there is no
doubt that Shebalin is an expert composer who frequently is quite inspired.

The first work on the disc is Shebalin's String Quartet No.  4 in G minor,
Opus 29 which he wrote in 1940 and dedicated to Sergei Taneyev who was a
major advocate of chamber music in Russia.  The first movement is an
outstanding Allegro with wonderful melodies, harmony, drama, urgency,
poetry, and poignancy.  I've been listening to this movement for weeks now,
never tiring of it one bit.  I had mentioned when reviewing Nielsen string
quartets that I found the first movement of Opus 5 to be one of my favorite
first movements of the string quartet repertoire.  I wouldn't quite place
this first movement of Shebalin's at that level, but it's close behind and,
on its own, easily worth the price of the disc.

The second movement Andante is lovely music, but it tends, to my
sensibilites, to get overly romantic and over-wrought at times.  But it's
back to outstanding music with the third movement Vivo (Alla marcia).  The
first theme is a militaristic march of subtle proportion highlighted by
plucked strings (pizzicato); I close my eyes and witness competing armies
marching toward battle.  The trio is eerie and has me thinking of a giant
landscape of decomposing human bodies (such is the nature of war); the
ending reverts back to the first theme.  This is a great and highly
descriptive movement.  The fourth movement, Andante - Allegro, starts off
with a rather syrupy and slow theme.  It then becomes an allegro with that
syrupy theme continuing to inject itself into the music.  The negative
clincher for me comes at the 8 minute point of the movement where the
syrup is just over-flowing.  Although the coda has redeeming and strong
qualities, this fourth movement along with the second movement don't have
my affection.

String Quartet No. 5 in F minor, Opus 33 was composed in 1942.  Known as
the "Slavonic" Quartet, this work was awarded the Stalin Prize in 1943.
At that time, all focus was on saving the country from the Nazi invasion.
Shebalin's quartet makes much use of folk-type themes and was highly
regarded by the Soviet leadership.

The F minor string quartet has five movements.  The first movement,
Moderato, begins slowly and with tender descending minor-key melodic lines.
Then a sonata-form allego takes shape with folk music which reminds me some
of a Copland hoe-down, although of lesser quality.  The folk music passages
permeate the remainder of the movement, and I did tire of the movement
well before its conclusion.  The second movement, Andante, is in ABA form.
The first theme is lovely and poignant but moves into a romanticized and
over-wrought passage about 3 minutes into the movement; the conclusion is
excellent and even more engrossing than the beginning.  This second
movement is fine music; I just wish that Shebalin would steer clear of
the overly romantic mode.  The third movement is scherzo-like in 2/4 time
with a 3/4 time trio; it incorporates folk elements and is energetic,
good-natured, and highly enjoyable.  Next is another Andante which is dark
and sad, ending in total resignation.  This movement is highly slavonic,
inwardly powerful, and excellent.  The fifth movement is a real treat,
reminding me some of the variety in the first movement of Shebalin's Opus
29.  It's joyous and heroic music which is appropriately the longest
movement of Opus 33.  Those Nazi punks get what they deserve.

The last string quartet on the disc, No.  9 in B minor, Opus 58, is
Shebalin's last one as well.  Written in 1983, it does incorporate some
'modernist' elements, but that shouldn't be a problem even for the most
traditional listeners who prefer tonal music.  Also, Shebalin eschews any
significant romanticized writing which is very good news.  Opus 58 was
dedicated to the Borodin Quartet, and Shebalin died just three months after
completing the work.

The first movement, Largo - Allegro, is highly rewarding.  It begins
slowly and seriously in an almost dodecaphonic manner, then embarks on a
triple-time Allegro which initiates a freely constructed sonata form.  The
beginning of this Allegro is very interesting; it sounds like a sleigh ride
of foreboding quality.  Overall, I'm very impressed with the first
movement; it is powerful, lovely, and uplifting.

The second movement, Andante, is in ABA form.  It begins in a reflective
manner, the second theme is Piu mosso and starts in an urgent pizzicato
fashion which turns into a highly legato reading, and the movement ends in
hushed tones.  Although not as enjoyable as the first movement, this is a
musically effective and short movement of resignation.

The Russian workers are out in force; thousands of them are marching and
protesting in the streets, desperate to get the Czar's attention.  But
they get much more than bargained for.  The Czar's troops block all exits,
and on horseback they plunge into the crowd continually slashing and
hacking away at body parts.  Well, that's largely the image I get from the
beginning of the third and last movement of Opus 58.  I very much wanted
the music to stay "hot" and even get scorching, but Shebalin lets up on the
intensity.  Still, it's very fine music and highly evocative of pre-Soviet
oppression; I could swear I heard the swords slicing into flesh.

Don's Conclusion:  I don't feel that there's anything particularly
essential about Shebalin's string quartets, but the present disc and the
earlier Volume I make for a highly rewarding listening experience.  I do
think that many listeners would find both discs excellent purchases if they
were aware of the musical content.  Although of different nationalities, I
tend to think of Shebalin's string quartets as a softer and gentler form
of Zemlinsky's string quartets.  There are a few outstanding movements in
Volume II highlighted by a masterful first movement of Opus 29.  I'm very
happy to have this recording, and I intend to listen to it regularly.

Don Satz