From:
Gene Halaburt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 10:55:44 -0600
Back in the early 1950s, when Stravinsky made an instrumental recording
of l'Histoire for Columbia (ML 4964), out-takes were made for a subsequent
recording that would include the text by Ramuz used in the original
theatrical presentation of the work in 1918.  A recording of this version
(adapted by Bronislaw Horowicz) was released circa 1956 by Philips
(France) as Serie Luxe L01.210L.  The spoken roles were performed by
Robert Manuel (the devil), Jacques Toja (Soldier), Jean Davy (Narrator
#1), Francois Vivert (Narrator #2), France Descaut (Princess), most of
whom were with the Comedie Francaise.  The result can only be described
as magnificent and I cannot understand why it has apparently never been
transferred to CD.  If you have not heard l'Histoire except in its
instrumental form, or have only heard other recordings that used the
spoken text (I have those of Ansermet, Markevitch, Stokowski and the
Boston Symphony Chamber group), I would urge you to try to locate a copy
of the French Philips disc.  It is on a par with, perhaps even better
than, the IS recording of Oedipus Rex with Cocteau.

-GeneH