From:
"Richard A. Ujvary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 10:56:48 -0400
Walter Meyer wrote:

>The earlier one, No.  25 can satisfy anyone's craving for Sturm und Drang;
>the later, No.  40, is in a class by itself.  While not his last symphony
>(that would be the 41st, the Jupiter, in C) it corresponds for me to the
>earlier g minor symphony the way Beethoven's last quartet or piano sonata
>corresponded to his middle period quartets or sonatas.

Well if you spoke to Glenn he'd disagree with your view since he believed
the g-minor symphony was "eight remarkable bars surrounded by a half hour
of banality".  And we wouldn't have had the 40th if Mozart had followed
Glenn's time period for living on this earth.  I think if Mr.  Gould went
on a trip with Wolfgang to the Arctic I'm afraid the Wolfster would be
introduced to some wild life....maybe polar bears....;)

Rich