From:
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 20:59:41 +0100
Derek Lim queries my low opinion of later Menuhin:

>Was it his technical prowess or his musicality? He remains one of my
>favourite violinists.  Kreisler was also not technically all there late
>in his life, but his musicianship is undeniable.

Mainly technical, and the impression he sometimes gave me of being
under-prepared for performance, even in standard repertoire.  As for his
musicality all I can say is that his vision of how a piece should go did
not always match mine, and I don't recall him being convincing enough to
persuade me that he was right and I was wrong.  Which is, of course,
entirely possible.  At the performances I'm remembering, everyone else
always used to clap him furiously and seemed very pleased with what they
had heard.  It's not the only subject on which I've long been out of step
with the majority.

Ian Crisp