From:
Linda Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 07:11:29 -0500
I have been waiting for someone to make the observation that in the same
year as Yo Yo Ma made his newer recordings of the Bach cello suites (to
accompany his series of videos), Janos Starker also recorded the suites.
It was STARKER who won the Grammy that year for best solo classical
recording.  He was, I believe 71 at the time of the recording.  The
audiophiles on the list can likely supply chapter and verse.

I find it interesting that Starker has made his enormous contribution
to classical music and particularly the cello while carrying a great
load of teaching, at Bloomington and around the country in master classes
everywhere, as did another American cello great, Leonard Rose at Julliard.
Yo Yo Ma on the other hand devotes himself to his video projects and his
Bach gardens and so forth.  I will let you judge the relative worth for
yourselves.

I will also venture into the Rostropovich debate (somewhat gingerly).
Slava is a total dear of a man and certainly his playing is musical.
His very being is musical.  How he gets to that end is more the subject of
debate amongst cellists.  His flat fingered playing and collapsed knuckles
are certainly not the technique that I was taught!  It certainly seems to
work for him and his enormous fleshy hands, but there are a few things
about his technique which would in any other mortal 1) kill the vibrato
and/or 2) cause repetitive strain injury to be more likely in the musician.

So I find him more of a joy to listen to than watch.

"Linda Rogers" <[log in to unmask]>