From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 22:13:23 -0700
Bob Draper wrote:

>Ian Crisp wrote:
>
>>...  I have never heard Bruckner conducted or played so badly.
>>...  Davis showed a complete lack of understanding of Bruckner. ...
>
>I believe that Davis is a very competant conductor.  Do you think that the
>problem might be that during the year he has to prepare for and perform so
>many varied works that he is just trying to do the impossible? Also could
>this in turn be a problem with the BBC's economic pressures coming to the
>forefront.

I don't think there is any difference from any other year.  The BBC
Symphony Orchestra always takes the lion's share (15 concerts this year)
though it would be interesting to know if economic pressures cut back on
rehearsal time as opposed to previous years.

Tony Duggan,  England.
My (developing) Mahler recordings survey is at:
http://www.musicweb.force9.co.uk/music/Mahler/Mahler1.htm