From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 09:30:06 -0500
Bill Blank wrote:

>I have been immersing myself in the Rachmaninov 3rd piano concerto after
>ignoring it for many years and not consider it among my top 5 favorites.
>
>I only have the Rachmaninov performance of the concerto on CD and would
>like to get a couple of modern recordings with contrasting interpretations.
>
>Would you recommend some recordings.  I generally do not like live
>recordings as the extraneous noises are distracting and would prefer
>DDD or if really outstanding ADD.

You might want to check the back files of this mailing list, as this has
been discussed before.

Again, perhaps worthy of mention, it the Scott Colebank Discography
of the Rachmaninov 3rd Concerto.  At last count he had about 150 or
so recordings in his list.  Scott lists some at

   http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/8618/TheRach3Page.html

see also

   http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/8618/Rach3Needed.html

at the bottom of that list you will find URL's to another list.

When looking for a recording of that concerto one has to consider the
various cadenzas used. Also, some performances are cut.

As for me, my favorites are all old performances:

Horowitz, Barbirolli
Kapell, MacMillan
and of course, the composer's own recording.

No doubt this will probably make your task more difficult!  On the
other hand, I find the concerto to be one of the great masterpieces of
music...so making a choice can be difficult...a bit like asking, what
are the recommended recordings of the Beethoven 5th?

Ok, for me...E. Kleiber and Nikisch.

Karl