From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 07:52:53 -0600
Bill Hong writes:

>BTW, I consider the "Linz" symphony (#36) to be an underappreciated gem in
>WAM's symphonic output, even though it's a later work.  ...

It's been a favorite of mine since I first heard it - not often the case
with me and Mozart.  However, someone once told me that it may not be by
Mozart.  Anyone with more info?

Steve Schwartz

 [The symphony K. 425, was written in Linz (hence the name) during a trip
 on the way home from Salzburg to Vienna during late October and early
 November of 1783.  As far as I know the manuscript is uncontested.
 However, many years ago symphony "#37" K. 444 (425a), also written
 in Linz at the same time, was shown to have actually been composed by
 Mozart's friend Michael Haydn.  All but the first movement, which was
 quickly written by Mozart for a specific concert and prepended to M.
 Haydn's symphony P. 16.  The authentic introduction was enough to fool
 musicologists into thinking the whole work was by Mozart.  -Dave]