From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 18:27:15 +0100
Donald Satz wrote:

>Arte Nova, a super-budget label, has released a set of the Bach Sonatas &
>Partitas played on a curved bow.  I've never heard of a curved bow and would
>appreciate some insight as to what it is and how its musical impact differs
>from the norm.

The "curved" bow was the predecessor to the modern bow, it was shorter
and more, well, curved than what you see today, as well as considerably
lighter, which gave it less power and volume.  The articulation is
different on one of these bows, as well, less sharp and accented as
is possible with modern bows.

Some modern-instrument cellists I know simulate the effect of the curved
bow by gripping the stick of their modern bow some inches further up, away
from the frog, than normal.  This reduces the attack from the frog of the
bow and the weight of the bow on the strings, and produces a more Baroque-y
sound.

David Runnion
http://www.mp3.com/serafinotrio