From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 08:47:48 +0100
Kevin Sutton challenges:

>If it is so absurd, kindly list me 10 compositions since Britten's War
>Requiem (1962) that are as significant, well constructed and original as
>said same.

   Havergal Brian, Symphony No. 20
   Igor Stravinsky, The Flood
   Ernst Toch, The Last Tale
   Arthur Bliss, The Beatitudes
   Darius Milhaud, Symphony No. 12
   Carl Orff, Ein Sommernachtstraum
   Roy Harris, Symphonies 8 and 9
   Francis Poulenc, Sept repons des tenebres, clarinet sonata and oboe sonata
   Aaron Copland, Connotations and Down a Country Lane
   Ernst Krenek, 5+1 and Alpbach Quintet
   Lennox Berkeley, Better My Heart, Sonatina for oboe and piano
   Aram Khachaturian, Cello Sonata
   Luigi Dallapiccola, Preghiere
   Dmitri Kabalevsky, Cello Sonata, Requiem
   Alan Rawsthorne, Medieval Diptych, Divertimento and Piano Trio
   Michael Tippett, Concerto for Orchestra, Songs for Ariel, Piano Sonata No. 2
   Benjamin Frankel, Symphony No. 2, Violin Sonata No. 2
   Elisabeth Lutyens, Music for Orchestra II, Five Bagatelles
   Dmitri Shostakovich, Symphony No. 13
   Vagn Holmboe, Double-bass Sonata
   Samuel Barber, Piano Concerto and Andromache's Farewell
   William Schuman, Song of Orpheus
   Jean Francaix, Flute Suite
   Witold Lutoslawski, Trois poemes d'Henri Michaux
   David Diamond, This Sacred Ground
   John Tavener, Piano Concerto
   Harrison Birtwistle, Chorales for Orchestra
   Peter Maxwell Davies, Dinfonia for chamber orchestra, Leopardi Fragments
   William Mathias, Violin Sonata, Dance Overture, Serenade for small orchestra
   John McCabe, Concerto Funebre

...the list could go on and on before I even get to music composed in 1963!
All the above are 1962 compositions -- and I submit that significance and
construction are in the ear of the belistener!

Tim Mahon