From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:40:27 -0600
Roger Hecht wrote:

>>I wonder, would there be a market for a classical review journal printed
>>entirely in black and white and not on glossy paper?  I would be interested
>>if the reviews and articles were informed...fortunately we have classical.net
>>and other online services.
>
>As a writer for American Record Guide, I've kept out of this discussion
>of Gramophone.  That said, I do want to point out that, while ARG's are
>glossy, the content is black and white, mostly all text, with only a few
>pictures, and very few ads.

As a former writer (for ten years) for ARG, I would add that it is
relatively no frills and, having worked with at least two different
editors, it always maintained its integrity=the editing of my reviews
was minimal...further...had it not been for the editor, Don Vroon, my
first issues would probably not have gotten a review...we have never
felt we had enough money for advertising (with $3,000 left in the account)
and yet most of our issues have been reviewed in ARG...unlike Grammophone
and Fanfare which, for the most part, require you advertise before they
will review...however, as of late, Fanfare has reviewed at least one of
our issues and I believe they will be publishing a review of our Lopatnikoff
disc.

Having writing the above...I was, in my original post, talking LOW
cost...no editing...no designer, no layout person, etc.  My only experience
with paper and publishing is limited to the booklets I do for the CDs.
The booklets can cost more to print than it costs to press the CDs!

When it comes to the review journals...there are few writers I read and
trust...however, I also appreciate the ads!  For me, as a producer, a
review is advertising.  As a record collector, a review is also advertising.
At this point, I am not all that interested in what someone else might
think of a particular performance of a Brahms Symphony...on the other
hand, I am interested in reading a review of an Aho Symphony since I am
curious as to how it might be classified stylistically, as well as knowing
if it has been issued.  And on the other hand...oops, I think I may be
out of hands...if it is a review of a Casella Symphony, I couldn't care
less what the reviewer thought about the work, the performance or the
audio quality...I know I would buy it...even if I might have a broadcast
performance of it...

All of which makes me wonder what the rest of you want from a record
review journal...and why you might prefer a magazine over an online
source.

Karl (still looking for any sort of recording of the Casella First
Symphony)