From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:57:03 PST
David Runnion provides a quotation from Felix Mendelssohn:

>  "People always tell me how music is always so ambiguous and hazy,
>  whereas language is always immediately understandable.  To me, it's
>  exactly the opposite."

This quotation made me think of the fact that individuals get together in
person, listen to one another, even see each other's body language, and
still often don't understand one another.  In the field of contract law,
the meaning of words are often disputed in court.  On our list, we often
misunderstand the written words of one another.

Overall, language might be more precise than music, but since humans create
and use language, true precision is a lost cause.

Don Satz