From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 18:52:15 -0800
Bernard Chasan wrote:

>Ed Zubrow wrote:
>
>>I am doing some reading on Liszt right now and realizing that my piano
>>collection is small and my collection of other things is downright
>>pitiful.  I'd welcome recomendations of discs that are essential.
>
>two cds of Liszt arrangements of Schubert Lieder on Naxos- in their
>"complete" set.  One cd is played by Valerie Tryon - the other by a
>Russian whose name I forget just now.

OTTOMH: the first disc in the Naxos series, by Arnaldo Cohen IIRC, is
very good.

You should also have Marc-Andre Hamelin's Liszt recital on Hyperion,
which includes an absolutely staggering Second Hungarian Rhapsody, with
Hamelin's own cadenza (as suggested by Liszt), Cziffra's (preferably
earlier, mono) set of the Hungarian Rhapsodies, indeed more or less
anything by Cziffra.  There is a good 2CD set on EMI's French Les
Introuvables series which has the sonata inter alia.

Speaking of the sonata, two historical recordings stand supreme for me:
Horowitz's 1932 and Barere's 1947 (?), the latter in mediocre sound but
a stunning reading.

Deryk Barker
Victoria Times Colonist