From:
Tom Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 00:19:45 -0400
Karl Miller wrote:

>I was reminded of when I was younger and listened to classical
>radio...back when there was classical radio...
>
>I got the point where I could, more often than not, guess which
>orchestra was performing a piece, just from the sound of the orchestra. ...

I've the same experience.  I used to have fun with friends who would
turn on the radio and I'd tell them know which orchestra was playing.
Frankly, it wasn't that hard.  Today, homogeneity seems to be in fashion.

When I began attending BSO concerts in Munch's last year, many of the
players were still people Koussevitsky brought with him from Paris.
Louis Speyer on English Horn and Bernard Zhigara, harp are 2 I remember,
plus a large number of others well trained in the French tradition.

I do have to admit, especially listening to recordings with Munch
conducting the BSO, it really wasn't all that difficult to pick out the
BSO on the radio.  I imagine in Koussevitsky's time it was also pretty
easy to identify the BSO.  Yeah, come to think of it Philadelphia was
distinctive in those days too.

I think we've lost something.

Regards,

Tom Connor