From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 21:48:43 +0100
Kevin Sutton in reply to me:

>The term usually implies a revision.  I am fairly certain that it literally
>means "after." Since the Prokofiev second violin sonata, for example, was
>also reworked by the composer for flute, the flute version might be known
>as Opus X bis, so that one could tell that the music was a revision or
>alteration of a pre-existing and recognized work.

I'm actually not sure about this.  I have gone through life believing the
word means 'second' or 'again', with a connotation of 'immediately.' After
a concert, enthusiastic audiences would demand a reprise of the favourite
piece by shouting 'bis' -- indicating a repeat, not a revision.  Is there
a connection between this and the Russian word 'bistro' (I'm going to get
challenged on transliteration again -- I can hear it coming!) that means
'hurry up' and from which the French coined the word?

Tim Mahon