From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 09:40:15 -0400
Phillip Peters wrote:

>Of course there is room for both.  I agree with Byron's views though and
>Marsalis is basically a neo-bopper IMO.  But he is a great trumpet player
>and I enjoy the way he seems to play almost effortlessly.  And he does a
>mean Haydn concerto as well.

I wonder if Phillip or anyone else has heard Marsalis' new composition
billed as a string quartet and reviewed in Fanfare as being definitely
a submission of classical music.

I wrote:

>>List members may be interested to know that Byron is a frequent
>>collaborator with Uri Caine--the pianist whose recent jazz reflections
>>on Mahler provoked some comment here recently.  ...

Phillip responded:

>...  Could you maybe mention the label for which Byron recorded klezmer?

It is called Don Byron Plays the Music of Mickey Katz and is on Nonesuch
007931.  As with his Bug Music album he uses Katz's music as the take off
point for his own creativity.

Ed