From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 07:33:39 -0600
John Smyth wrote:

>If you like Poulenc's Organ Concerto, (I'm assuming most are quite
>familiar with it), There is a Linn recording of the above which comes
>with another substantial piece in a similar vein--the Pierre Petit
>(1922-2000) "Concertino" for Organ, Strings, and Percussion.  ...
>
>Gillian Weir plays the organ at St. Augustine's Chapel, Tonbridge School.
>David Hill and Raymond Leppard conduct the ECO.

While I still prefer my Munch-Biggs recording, I have the Linn issue.
It is a gem.  Gillian Weir is one of the masters of the instrument.

Also, on the subject of organ and orchestra...the Cedille issue of the
Barber...great sound and it includes a previously unrecorded organ and
orchestra work by Sowerby and the Piston Prelude and Allegro.

Alas, Sowerby's C major concerto for organ and orchestra remains unrecorded.

Karl