From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 18:26:26 -0400
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>While the thread is discussing pronunciations, there are a few I'd like
>tidied up:
>
>... 4. Roberto Gerhard, I believe, eventually pronounced his name as
>JAIR'-UHD. Confirmation?

'Roberto,' by the way, is actually the Castilian variant of his name;
he likely used 'Robert,' the Catalan original.  That would be Rro-BER,
emphasizing the last syllable, not the first, as in English.  Some of us
are partial to 'Roberto,' to evoke his Spanish background -- which his
surname sure doesn't suggest.

In Catalunya, as elsewhere in Spain, his German surname would sound like
Ger-JJAR, with the strong consonant sounded gutturally, as in a subtle
throat-clearing.

Bert B