From:
Douglas J Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 13:33:34 -0500
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>I could well understand if the originator of this thread, Doug Fisher, was
>somewhat confused at this point concerning the recommendations he has read.

Not to worry Don, this isn't the first time I've been confused (and won't
be the last I'm sure!).

>Trying to respond well to Doug's concerns, I think the number one
>consideration is whether he would prefer HIP, non-HIP, or both.  To come
>to that decision, sampling is required which can be accomplished through
>samlper cds, friends, library sources, web samples, or in the worst
>case,buying a few cds to reach a conclusion.  To spend $275.  on *one*
>particular performance style before knowing if it's the style for you
>doesn't sound like a good use of music money.

The conclusion I have reached is that Don is exactly right, I need to
do some further investigating before I invest in an entire set of Bach
Cantatas, even if it is a bargain.  I have both HIP and non-HIP recordings
of various works, and am not consistently in either camp.  Obviously, the
most important things are the interpretation of the music and the quality
of the performance, which can only be evaluated through listening.

Doug Fisher