From:
Santu De Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:14:52 -0400
Donald Satz opined:

>I'm not big on composer intentions, and I wouldn't venture to guess what
>makes Verdi happy.  The significant element to me is not whether Verdi
>would be happy with Gardiner, but whether *I* am happy with Gardiner.
>Verdi isn't buying or listening to the cd.

In general I agree here.  In regard to living composers, however, i think
we owe it to them to perform works according to their wishes, if we perform
them at all.  But once you're gone, man, I think it's fair game to perform
your music any way we like to have it played.  It's not the "correctness"
of HIP that makes it better, just it's betterness.

>Many music lovers do not enjoy period instrument performances.
>Unfortunately, some of them don't leave it at that and simply stay away.
>They feel a need to diminish the world of HIP and go about the business of
>finding deficiences in the concept.  What's the motivation? I have no idea.

The idea is clear: there is a feeling that HIP has run away with a
much-loved part of the repertoire.  I have read quotes of Pinchas Zukerman
that imply very strongly that he is pissed off for instance at not being
able to have his recording of the Bach violin concertos taken seriously.
(That's my interpretation of a certain incident that was reported in one
music list.) In all honesty, I think they ought to be given a fair hearing.
If they don't stand up to Monica Huggett, tough.  But it seems silly to
censure Monica Huggett (say) on the grounds that she's embarrassing Pinchas
Zukerman, if I may stretch this point.  But one appreciates the attitude
of musicians, whose whole lives are music, who have grown up with Bach
concertos (say), who feel suddenly robbed.  These HIP folks have run in
from nowhere and absconded with some of the most fun stuff to play.

Arch