From:
Miguel Muelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 20:59:45 -0400
Donald Satz wrote:

>Miguel Muelle writes of the David Hurwitz review of the Barbarolli M9:
>
>> The problem I have is that the Hurwitz review seems off-hand, shallow,
>> and, well, just plain mean....  It seems irresponsible to pontificate
>> with such prejudice, especially to those who look to reviews for help
>> in buying CM CDs.
>
>Although I am neutral about Barbarolli and his recorded performances,
>the above attack on Mr. Hurwitz interested me enough that I read his
>review on the Classics Today website.

My intent was not to "attack" anyone, but perhaps I was feeling a bit
defensive on behalf of Sir John.  Mine is a biased reaction, and it's
a biased review.

>I honestly can't see what the fuss is about.  Hurwitz goes against the
>usual grain in being skeptical of the Barbarolli M9 and its inclusion
>by EMI as a great recording of the 20th century.  That's his right, and
>he also provides his reasons for possessing his relatively negative
>opinion.  What more do you want?  ...

It almost seems incredible that there was NOTHING for him about which
to be positive.  What more do I want?  Perhaps just to take a step back
and recognize the fact that this is historic -- for better or worse.
What I want from a reviewer is not just whether they liked it or not,
but where this stands in relation to other "landmark" performances,
canons of interpretation, etc.  Some context in which to evaluate it,
not just that it's "bad", and the winds were weak...

>The Hurwitz review can certainly help readers who are looking for help
>in choosing M9 versions to consider.  As David Harbin, the originator
>of this thread, would probably agree, the Hurwitz review might have
>stopped him from buying the Barbarolli M9 which he returned after finding
>it inadequate.

Agreed.  But I would be more comfortable if it were a review of some
young upstart conducting -- not a milestone recording that should be
more considered than just a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down".

>Overall, I think this is a case of a Barbarolli fan not liking an
>unfavorable review of his conducting.  Personally, I applaud Hurwitz
>for having the fortitude to criticize an acclaimed recording.  He stuck
>to his guns, and that's all to the good.

You're right, I am a fan and I did not like it.  But that doesn't mean
it was a fair review.  I don't believe it was, and that was my point.
It actually saddens me that many will never get to hear this recording
because one reviewer made it sound so worthless and terrible.  I don't
think that's fair.  He could have "stuck to his guns" without shooting
him in the back.

Miguel Muelle
http://mmuelle.home.mindspring.com