From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 07:44:30 -0600
Scott Morrison wrote:

>>Gershwin is seldom allowed to fail on his own.  Someone always has to
>>"help."
>
>Think Mussorgsky and Bruckner.

Drifting into the notion of "cuts"...

Yesterday I was helping a friend prepare a CD he hopes to issue for the
Meyerbeer Society.  The issue will be "The Historical L'Africaine." As
we were working we discussed the recent performance history of Meyerbeer
works.  The subject of cuts being central to the discussions.  Being a
Meyerbeer fan, my friend said..."why don't they ever cut Wagner!" While it
wouldn't be an easy thing to do musically, it did strike me that I wasn't
aware of attempts to do so.  Was curious if others knew of attempts to do
so...also, why not "edit" Mahler?

Karl