From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:47:41 -0500
Jim Tobin replies to Roger Hecht:

>>Overrated for sure [Levine], but that has not stopped the Boston press
>>from lionizing him, just as in a different way it covered for Ozawa.
>
>Covered for him?  When?  From 1980-1986 when I lived in Boston, and heard
>just about all of Ozawa's concert's, the Boston Globe reviewer lost no
>opportunity to sneer at Ozawa.  The orchestra was on "autopilot," there
>were no true pianissimos, etc.  (I was at an open rehearsal and heard
>him tell the players "softer!" on one occasion.

Hot damn!  See my accompanying post.  If you're right, and I believe you
are, but I can't remember specifically any more, someone *did* write
that column I am sure I saw advising Ozawa to leave when his contract
was up.  And I think it was Dyer.

Anyway.  When did he stop covering for Ozawa?  I can't remember when it
started, but Dyer started heaping praise on Ozawa, or at least refraining
from criticizing him as she should, back in the 1990s, I'm pretty sure.
And I recall being surprised, because of what I stated above. And for a
while, I was fooled.  Dyer would praise, I would go, and then say, never
again.  Happened quite a bit before I stuck to my guns.

Roger Hecht